Since the 1700s, the Loop has been known as Chicago’s business district located south of the Chicago River. In the 1780s, trading posts were established on the north bank of the Chicago River and, by the 1830s, development of other businesses began to shape the Loop into what it is presently.
The Fire of 1871 destroyed many residential buildings and historic churches, giving rise to the erection of skyscrapers in the late 1800s. This further reinforced the trend of commercial growth in the Loop. The completion of the elevated train system in 1897 solidified its existence and influence. However, after 1950, the pull of suburban development and the new automobile metropolis reduced the importance of the Loop.
Later, the area experienced a building boom due to the efforts of business leaders and former mayor Richard J. Daley. Supported by steady federal and state funds, the city government was able to provide offices for corporations and banks, expand facilities for educational and cultural institutions, and build hotels for visitors.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567