North West Side
Montclare was established by William Sayre in 1836. Farmers in Montclare would take their produce to downtown markets in Chicago. In 1873, the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad poorly accommodated commuter transport into the area in the form of a single daily train.
As a result, few settlers added to the tiny farming community of around 120 residents. Eventually, Montclare was annexed to Chicago in 1889. With the development of the Grand Avenue streetcar line, the first population growth spurt occurred. Single-family structures dominated the region and Montclare continues to retain this suburban identity on Chicago’s western side.
In the late 1980s, a few African Americans moved into the neighborhood, which lead to racial tension. Community organizations were formed to relieve these tensions. Still, Montclare has only a few African American residents, while the Hispanic population has grown to fifty-four percent.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567