Far North Side
Lincoln Square began primarily in commercial agriculture through the 1800s. As transportation developed, new residents flooded into Lincoln Square. Among the new residents were many Greeks, whose small businesses set the groundwork for the “new Greektown” after the old Greektown had been displaced.
Industries popped up along the North Western Railway tracks and Ravenswood Avenue, including Abbott Laboratories. Lincoln Square was soon known as “Ravenswood” due to its residential nature. However, in 1949, the Lincoln Square Chamber of Commerce began promoting a commercial image of the community.
Empty storefronts and the lack of customers following WWII led to the erection of a statue of Abraham Lincoln in 1956 and later the development of the Lincoln Square mall in 1978. The empty storefronts eventually filled up with business owners of various ethnic backgrounds, including Latinos and Asians who found the residential nature of Lincoln Square appealing.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567