Far North Side
Jefferson Park has been called the “Gateway to Chicago” throughout its history. This identity was originally established in the 1800s when traders and hunters would transport goods in and out of Chicago and use Jefferson Park a resting stop along the way.
In the early 1900s, street railways were introduced into the neighborhood, bringing with it a flood of new residents. Against the desires of many residents, the neighborhood continued its role as the “Gateway to Chicago” in 1959 due to the construction of the Kennedy Expressway, which cut diagonally through Jefferson Park. Shortly after the construction of the Kennedy Expressway, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) built a terminal connecting CTA and Regional Transit Authority bus routes, a greyhound bus stop, a Chicago & North Western commuter railroad station and an Elevated line.
The area continues to attract many commuters with the Metra serving 10,000 a day and 800 buses traveling through Jefferson Park’s main channels.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567