Far Southeast Side
For the majority of the nineteenth century, Calumet Heights remained swampy and largely unoccupied. As with many other neighborhoods, the community dramatically changed with the construction of railroads. A quarry was built, and the Calumet and Chicago Canal and Dock Company made its home nearby.
Following these developments, real-estate developers began to draw their attention to Calumet Heights, and by 1920 it became home to more than 3,000 residents, many of whom were Italian and Irish. In 1930, the population doubled with the establishment of a new commercial area. Between 1960 and 1980 the neighborhood experienced white flight, which resulted in a more than eighty-six percent African American population.
Since that time the area has retained a strong middle-class, as it became home to much of the working class and white collar employees who sought out the well-kept homes. The most affluent of these make their home in “Pill Hill”, which draws its name from the large community of doctors who settle here due to its location near South Chicago Hospital.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567