Brighton Park, taking its name from the Brighton livestock market in England, became a center for livestock trading in the late 1850s. Although the completion of the Union Stock Yard in 1865 closed Brighton’s yards, the area attracted many other industries and mills. Brighton Park was annexed to the city of Chicago in 1889.
By the 1880s and 1890s, infrastructure and transportation improvements drew a diverse population of French and Eastern European Jews, Poles, Lithuanians, and Italians. Industrial parks began opening in 1905, creating more jobs and leading to population growth in Brighton Park, which steadily became more residential.
Between 1930 and 1980, however, Brighton Park’s population significantly declined due to deindustrialization and the closing of Crane Manufacturing Company. To this day the community remains largely residential and has a growing commercial section. By 2000 the population boomed again due to a large Hispanic movement into the neighborhood.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig
prayercast | ministry of oneway | firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing address | PO Box 2211 Naperville, IL 60567